Thursday, September 4, 2008

Euphemism

I heard this conversation between a person and her cousin during lunch with my friends last week

Zyk :Hey uncle!how are you?long time did not see u.

Uncle :Hey zyk.I'm fine.how are you and your boyfriend?(rolling his eyes).

Zyk :We are good, uncle.

Uncle :How's your boyfriend?the last time we met u said he's out of a job.Is he working already?

Zyk :Ya.Alhamdulillah currently he is working with Standard Chartered Bank in Kuala Lumpur.

Uncle :That's good for both of u.The sooner u guys will get married..(teasing her)

Zyk :InsyaAllah uncle.Right now just concentrating on my studies first.Ok uncle,i got to go now.see u later.take care.send my regards to auntie,and kak zeera.

Uncle :I will.U take care too dear.

The above conversation,her uncle was using "Euphemism" to make it sound better rather than saying her boyfriend was 'unemployed' he used 'out of a job'.

No comments: